Somerset Fish Pot
Fish chunks with apple.
The original source of this receipt isn't known. Can you help? email@example.com
Somerset Fish Casserole
900 g (2 lb) brill or coley fillets, skinned
50 g (2 oz) plain flour
salt and pepper
65 g (2 ½ oz) butter
1 medium onion, skinned and finely chopped
300 ml (1/2 pint) dry cider
10 ml (2 tsp) anchovy essence
15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
1 eating apple
chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Cut the fish into 5 cm (2 inch) chunks, then coat the chunks in 25 g (1 oz) of the flour, seasoned with salt and pepper.
2. Melt 25 g (1 oz) of the butter in a medium saucepan and cook the onion gently for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the fish and cook for a further 3 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Remove the fish and onion to a buttered ovenproof serving dish.
3. To make the sauce, add 25 g (l oz) of the butter to that remaining in the pan, then add the remaining flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the cider, anchovy essence and lemon juice. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously, then simmer for 2-3 minutes, until thick and smooth.
4. Pour the sauce over the fish and cook in the oven at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, peel, core and slice the apple into rings, then fry the apple rings in the remaining butter for 1 - 2 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper and use to top the fish. Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
MORE FROM Foods of England...|
Cookbooks ● Diary ● Index ● Magic Menu ● Random ● Really English? ● Timeline ● English Service ● Food Map of England ● Lost Foods ● Accompaniments ● Biscuits ● Breads ● Cakes and Scones ● Cheeses ● Classic Meals ● Curry Dishes ● Dairy ● Drinks ● Egg Dishes ● Fish ● Fruit ● Fruits & Vegetables ● Game & Offal ● Meat & Meat Dishes ● Pastries and Pies ● Pot Meals ● Poultry ● Preserves & Jams ● Puddings & Sweets ● Sauces and Spicery ● Sausages ● Scones ● Soups ● Sweets and Toffee ● About ... ●
COPYRIGHT and ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: © Glyn Hughes, Sunday 02 September 2018
BUILT WITH WHIMBERRY