Sago, tapioca or rice flour boiled with milk, egg white folded in and chilled to set. Served with two sauces: coconut-flavoured white sauce and brown sugar melted in water.
The original source of this receipt isn't known. Can you help? email@example.com
1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
1/2 pint fresh milk
21 fl oz water
4 oz sago or tapioca
1 egg white, whisked
1 level tablespoon cornflour
2 oz brown sugar
1. Soak the coconut in ½ pint milk.
2. Gently simmer, the remaining milk and the water and the sago for 45 minutes until thick and creamy. Fold in the egg white. Pour into 4 ramekin dishes. Chill.
3. Blend coconut milk with cornflour and heat stirring until sauce thickens, boils and is smooth.
4. Melt the brown sugar and remaining water in a heavy based saucepan.
5. Turn the cold sago out of the mould and serve with coconut sauce and melted brown sugar.
MORE FROM Foods of England...|
Cookbooks ● Diary ● Index ● Magic Menu ● Random ● Really English? ● Timeline ● English Service ● Food Map of England ● Lost Foods ● Accompaniments ● Biscuits ● Breads ● Cakes and Scones ● Cheeses ● Classic Meals ● Curry Dishes ● Dairy ● Drinks ● Egg Dishes ● Fish ● Fruit ● Fruits & Vegetables ● Game & Offal ● Meat & Meat Dishes ● Pastries and Pies ● Pot Meals ● Poultry ● Preserves & Jams ● Puddings & Sweets ● Sauces and Spicery ● Sausages ● Scones ● Soups ● Sweets and Toffee ● About ... ●
COPYRIGHT and ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: © Glyn Hughes, Sunday 02 September 2018
BUILT WITH WHIMBERRY