|The Foods of England | Cookbooks | Diary | Index | Magic Menu ||
Food Map of England
- Lost Foods
- Classic Meals
- Curry Dishes
- Egg Dishes
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Game & Offal
- Meat & Meat Dishes
- Pastries and Pies
- Pot Meals
- Preserves & Jams
- Puddings & Sweets
- Sweets and Toffee
Devonshire Mullet Pie
Dressed grey mullet pieces in thickened milk with parsley, under a shortcrust lid.
Original Receipt from the Cook It Simply website;
Devonshire mullet pie
3 medium sized grey mullet
1 ¾ cup (170 g) 6½ oz plain flour (All purpose)
40 g (1½ oz) lard
40 g (1½ oz) margarine
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
450 ml (3/4 pint) milk
egg to glaze
1. Wash and clean the fish, removing heads and scales with a knife.
2. Remove the bone and cut the fish into small pieces about 4 cm (1½ in).
3. Toss the fish in a little seasoned flour and lay in the bottom of a deep pie dish.
4. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and just cover with milk.
5. Make the pastry and roll out. Cut a strip for the edge of the pie dish and fit the lid to this.
6. Seal the edges well. Make two slits in the pie.
7. Bake at 220°C, 425°F, mark 7 for 10 - 15 minutes.
8. Add decorative pastry fish shapes, glaze and continue cooking at a reduced heat of 180°C, 350°F, mark 4 for a further 30 - 35 minutes.
[Unverified] Can you help find more about Devonshire Mullet Pie? - email email@example.com
Sitemap - This page updated 02/10/2016 - Copyright © Glyn Hughes 2016