Roly-Poly of shredded bacon, often with onion and sage rolled inside suet pastry and steamed.
Our correspondent James Brett (2012) says that this type of roll was also known in Northamptonshire; "Leftovers, sliced and fried for breakfast with mushrooms and a fried egg are also wonderful. Not for the calorie conscious faint hearted though!"
The original source of this receipt isn't known. Can you help? email@example.com
Berkshire Bacon Roly Poly Pudding
450g/1 lb Plain Flour
Water to bind
175g/6oz Fat Bacon, chopped
A few sage leaves
2 chopped Onions
Salt and Black Pepper
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour and suet . Add enough cold water to form a stiff dough.
2. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to an oblong 6mm/1/4 inch thickness.
3. In another bowl, mix together the bacon, onions, sage, salt and pepper.
4. Place the bacon mixture on the pastry leaving a border of about 5cm/2inches on all sides then roll the suet pastry up to enclose the bacon. Seal the dough by squeezing at both ends then wrap the pudding in a dampened, floured muslin cloth.
5. Boil for about 2 hours, topping up with extra water as necessary. Serve hot with vegetables.
And there you have it! Berkshire bacon roly poly pudding!
Bacon Pudding - Berkshire
Bacon Pudding - Hampshire
Buckingham Bacon Badger
MORE FROM Foods of England...|
Cookbooks ● Diary ● Index ● Magic Menu ● Random ● Really English? ● Timeline ● Donate ● English Service ● Food Map of England ● Lost Foods ● Accompaniments ● Biscuits ● Breads ● Cakes and Scones ● Cheeses ● Classic Meals ● Curry Dishes ● Dairy ● Drinks ● Egg Dishes ● Fish ● Fruit ● Fruits & Vegetables ● Game & Offal ● Meat & Meat Dishes ● Pastries and Pies ● Pot Meals ● Poultry ● Preserves & Jams ● Puddings & Sweets ● Sauces and Spicery ● Sausages ● Scones ● Soups ● Sweets and Toffee ● About ... ● Bookshop ●
COPYRIGHT and ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: © Glyn Hughes 2022
BUILT WITH WHIMBERRY