(Or Hull Patties, Savoury Patties, Fried Patties)
A small cake of potato mash with herbs and seasoning deep-fried in batter, often accompanied by chips and scraps. A speciality of Hull, but known elsewhere in the North East.
Original Receipt from The Hull Daily Mail http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/how-make-perfect-hull-pattie-80449
How to make the perfect Hull pattie
Our step-by-step guide to making your own Hull pattie
By Benjamin Blosse
1) "We first boil the potatoes and get them nice and soft so we can mash them," he says.
2) "We've then got a mixing machine, so the potatoes go in and mix in there.
"At this point we put our secret recipe in, along with salt, pepper, some sage and onions as well.
3) "We mix them and bring it all together to make a pattie. We have our pattie cutter, which cuts them into shape before we put them in the cooler.
4) "We then start the process of frying them, which starts with putting them in our own handmade batter, which is again another secret recipe.
"We are a traditional fish and chip shop so we use beef dripping fat to fry them in, which also makes them quite crispy and golden.
5) "Cook them for about four to five minutes in the fryer, and you will have your perfect pattie."
MORE FROM Foods of England...|
Cookbooks ● Diary ● Index ● Magic Menu ● Random ● Really English? ● Timeline ● Donate ● English Service ● Food Map of England ● Lost Foods ● Accompaniments ● Biscuits ● Breads ● Cakes and Scones ● Cheeses ● Classic Meals ● Curry Dishes ● Dairy ● Drinks ● Egg Dishes ● Fish ● Fruit ● Fruits & Vegetables ● Game & Offal ● Meat & Meat Dishes ● Pastries and Pies ● Pot Meals ● Poultry ● Preserves & Jams ● Puddings & Sweets ● Sauces and Spicery ● Sausages ● Scones ● Soups ● Sweets and Toffee ● About ... ● Bookshop ●
COPYRIGHT and ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: © Glyn Hughes 2022
BUILT WITH WHIMBERRY